Friday, May 5, 2017

Whither you go, my friend
Wag your tail, tis your only errand
As I pulled on your chain, in vain
A little boy me, and you, in the rain

You swooned over each bit, each pebble
As you pulled me over stinky rubble
Who lead whom, does it matter?
Two friends walking in silent chatter

Cocking your ears at every whisper
Pointing your tail, standing as you were
Rubbing your nose on my knees
Wetting it up after every sneeze

Every boy needs a friend like you
A part of his mischief, and bedlam too
If only you could sleep up in my bed
If only mom would let you, and not be mad

Now I walk alone in the rain and sun
I guess you had your share of fun
The chain still hangs behind the door
The walks now feel more like a chore

It's been just a day since you kicked the bucket
Silently, in your sleep, nary a racket
Just beautiful memories left back for me
A boy and his dog, we will always be

No comments:

Post a Comment